school BREAKFAST

3.6.08
Squirt #1's school hosted a "reading day" where parents were supposed to arrive at school with their child an hour before school to read in the halls and then go to the lunch room/cafeteria and have breakfast. (apparently it is National Breakfast Week. Did anyone KNOW that?) That sounds fun, right? We arrived at 8:00 and read in the halls... There were probably only 3 other families that did it. They were all on the PTA board... except for me. Oh well, we still had a good time.

At 8:30 we moved on to breakfast. We waited in a short line (maybe 8 people, a few children with their parents). You would think that something would be offered that was appealing, since it is National Breakfast Week and all, to support breakfast all around instead of drive people from it. That was my basic thought when I forked over .80 cents per child and $1.50 for me to enjoy breakfast together at school after the reading period.

Aren't you so glad our children are provided with HEALTHY, NUTRITIOUS meals through the National Lunch (in this case Breakfast) Program? I am a very avid chocolate fan...except for during breakfast time. This combo was more than I could handle. Both my children had this for breakfast this morning.
It was so good of the National Breakfast Program to offer a selection: My breakfast was a "Breakfast Burrito". I decided to spare you the photo. It was a flat scrambled egg wrapped up in a tortilla. That's it. The tortilla was soggy and the egg was dry. I couldn't decide which breakfast choice was worse today.




After breakfast the parents were invited to stay and observe the reading programs in action in their child's class room. Squirt #1 is circled here in the reading group up front.
I help every Wednesday in this class during the reading period so I decided to take some pictures and leave. I tried not to be obnoxious... no flash.
In the back of the photo (it might be too small to see) I put an arrow at my desk where I help the children read every Wednesday. The only thing I really do is try to keep thier minds on what they are doing. They are very easily distracted and don't really like programed reading with Sam, Ann, Nip and Tab. Does that sound familiar to anyone? I read those in 1st grade too! I was sure surprised to see Mrs. Larson still using them. She says she likes them more than other things they have come up with over the years.


No comments:

Old Posts